Saturday, August 20, 2011

A7bech ya Kuwait - Shaikha AlShuaib

I'm very proud to be doing this post about this young lady who loves her country and showed her love in a unique way. She deserves our support and encouragement, therefore 7azawi interviewed her. So people would get a chance to know her more. She has a Green belt in Taekwondo. She participated in the US open competition and won the First place in point sparring and the Second place in exhibition match .  

Starting with some basic info:  
Name : Shaikha AlShuaib
Age: 16
Sign: Aquarius
Color: Silver
Hobbies: Piano, Taekwondo, volunteer work
Role Model: Dr. Basma AlSaqabi, Mark Zuckerberg
7AZAWI : Tell us, How did you start your passion with Martial arts and When ?
SHAIKHA : One of my dearest friends asked me to attend a self defense class with her. After attending  the class I really liked this sport but mostly Taekwondo. So I enrolled myself in Taekwondo classes.

7AZAWI : When was the first time that you really attended a Taekwondo class? 
SHAIKHA : I don't remember exactly when but I would say around ten months ago.


7AZAWI : How did you manage to win, when you only have been practicing Taekwondo for only less than a year?
SHAIKHA : A lot of people wonder how I won but to be honest, I started training for the competition since mid April. I wasn't sure that was capable of winning since I never been through a fight before. But il7imdillah with the support of my family and the hours spent on training and practicing I felt it was worth giving it a shot.

7AZAWI : Did anyone sponsor you for the competition?
SHAIKHA : No, no one sponsored me but my parents encouraged me to go and represent Kuwait.

7AZAWI : Tell us about the competition and the vibe of it?
SHAIKHA : It was a very exciting experience. I met a lot of great people from different countries. Also, seeing a huge number of fights in one day was unusual for me. But to be fair it changed my point of view of such a violent sport. And it became clear to me why they call it the Art of Taekwondo.


7AZAWI : How did you feel when it was your turn to compete?

SHAIKHA : During the competition I was calm but as soon as they called my name and it was my time to represent my country, I got nervous. When I stepped into the ring rush of sparring took over and the minutes flew by from then.


7AZAWI : What experiences did you gain from the competition?
SHAIKHA : I learned from this competition to believe more in myself and everything is possible when you set your mind on it. I also learned that working hard pays off at the end and winning is not everything.

7AZAWI : How did Taekwondo change your life?

SHAIKHA : It taught me to be more strong, Confident and I found self peace.


7AZAWI : What are you future plans or goals?
SHAIKHA : I'm graduating from high school next year. So I'm focusing on my studies and when it comes to Taekwondo. I will keep playing it as long as I can.


7AZAWI : One last thing you would like to share with us ?

SHAIKHA : Nothing is worth it, when your loved ones are not there. So lets all stick together to represent Kuwait in a better way.


A7bech Ya Kuwait
Shaikha AlShuaib



1 comment:

  1. I'm so proud of Shaikha what a great achievement and such a positive role model at such a young age!

    ReplyDelete